Takingnames.io Issue

Hey admin, I just started getting familiar with boring proxy, and sir tunnel, so I basically just bought a VPS server from Vultr $6, SSH into the server with termius, and wget the linux version of boringproxy, so when I first ran the server command I put in an email which didn’t give me a qr code nor link to takingnames but only just said that TLS is successful or something like that.

So I rm -rf all the folder, and tried to restart the server command but without email, but it won’t even give me tls successful message neither link generated but only error stating HTTP 429 urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited - Error creating new order :: too many failed authorizations recently: see Failed Validation Limit - Let's Encrypt (ca=https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory)

So I’m confused how to resolve this?

Hi @cyblocksms,

Is it printing out any other warnings? You might need to open ports on the VPS firewall or similar.

It sounds like you’re also hitting the Let’s Encrypt rate limiting. It’s not going to work as long as that’s happening. I recommend running boringproxy server with -acme-use-staging until you’re confident it’s working, then start running it without that option to get actual certs.

Note that the current state of technology means that you may have to understand quite a bit of details to get tunneling working. We’re trying to improve this with tools like TakingNames.io and boringproxy, but when things don’t work there’s really no way to solve it without having the skills to debug the system. You might consider using a service like Cloudflare Tunnel or ngrok if you don’t have the time to spend.

I totally understand you, but I’ve actually purchased a domain ahead of starting up the server on VPS, plus how do I know the domain I purchased is propagated.

You can still use your domain with other services. It’s particularly easy with Cloudflare. Just enter their nameservers on the TakingNames.io page for the domain.

I would also be happy to refund you for your domain if you go that route.

To know if DNS settings have propagated, I usually use this tool:

Put the domain in and select all nameservers

I’mm not requesting for a refund, just looking for solution as to why link is not coming. I’m also not challenging your hardwork, you have an amazing work there.

1 Like

Thanks for your support Anders, aside the dns propagatiion, I didn’t ufw allow both port 80, and 443. After doing that, I’m getting back on track

sudo ufw allow 80/tcp
sudo ufw allow 443/tcp
sudo ufw enable
sudo ufw reload

Also, there is also an instance of getting missin_client_ID when trying to auto configure, save yourself the stress by manually creating A record for the sub domain you’d like to create tunnel to. I would probably list out some possible errors you could encounter and how to solve them easily.

1 Like

Strange. It should have printed a warning if 80 and 443 were blocked. Did you see any warnings?

I’ll look into this. It’s possible there’s been a regression in the boringproxy integration. Sadly I don’t think this feature is used very much.

@cyblocksms I tried the auto configuration with boringproxy and didn’t get the client_id error. I’m not sure what’s happening in your case. Let me know if you want to try and debug it more, but it sounds like you have a working setup.

I never got that those port was blocking, Once I did UFW allow on those 2 ports, it was like a magic. Also my auto configuration brings client_id error but I have a working setup by basically manually setting A record for whichever sub domain tunnel I need, and also this propagation for me didn’t take 5 minutes…So far, I love this project, it’s like taking control :smile::pray:

1 Like