Boringproxy and Wireguard

I have a domain from TakingNames and look forward to using it with boringproxy. I’m one of these “no experience” users that’s having trouble using it with a Wireguard VPN connection.

Is it possible to use Wireguard and boringproxy at the same time?

If not, can I just disable my VPN and carry on? Or are there any other alternatives worth considering?

1 Like

Hey @ryanscott,

Thanks for your business!

boringproxy itself is implementing using SSH and doesn’t have any WireGuard functionality. It should still work if you’re using a WireGuard VPN though, unless your VPN is blocking the outgoing boringproxy client connections for some reason. Can you describe a bit more the setup you’re trying to achieve?

Also somewhat tangential, but may I ask what you want to use boringproxy for? I’m building a new product for people who are new to selfhosting and interested in what people are trying to accomplish.

I’m trying to have a self-hosted web service on my desktop, specifically Jellyfin, and expose it to the internet.

I tried to set it up with Nginx first and then sort-of gave up when I saw the learning curve.

I disabled my VPN and it still didn’t work. I had an error message that read “Connection refused on port (example)”.

Seems like it’s not Wireguard’s fault then. Don’t know if this is relevant, but I’m having problems connecting to certain websites like GitHub without it. I’ll do some troubleshooting later when I get back.

Turns out, AirVPN (what I’m using) can run a web server as long as you use port forwarding or otherwise it won’t work.

https://airvpn.org/faq/port_forwarding/

Still travelling, but I’ll see what I can do now that I know this.

This could be a good option. I would recommend using Caddy as a reverse proxy. It’s simple to use compared to most reverse proxies and handles TLS for you automatically. I think you’ll also want to create a CNAME record for your domain and point it at whatever domain AirVPN gives you.